In 1950, Dr M.V. Sant was appointed as “Chief Pathologist”, first time in-charge of laboratory, and a small blood bank for in-patients.
1953-Autopsy section started for medico legal autopsies.
1957 to 1962- Dr R.G Modak was appointed as part time Pathologist, clinicopathological meetings and autopsy histology got a boost.
1964- Lokmanya Tilak Medical College was established
1966- Dr P.M Chaphekar was appointed as Professor and Head
1972- Dr K.P Deodhar was appointed as additional Professor of microbiology
1977- Dr K.P Deodhar appointed as Professor and Head and various specialties like
Cytopathology, Cardiovascular & pulmonary, Hepatobiliary & GI pathology,Renal, Neuropatholgy, Paediatric pathology developed.
The department of Pathology provides following laboratory services :
- Surgical pathology - Histopathological diagnosis of surgical resected tissues, biopsies etc.
- Autopsy – Conducting autopsies of medical & medicolegal cases & histopathological diagnosis.
- Cytopathology – Gynecological cytology (PAP smears), fluid cytology, fine needle aspiration cytology.
- Hematology – Complete blood counts, bone marrow aspiration & trephine bone biopsies, other relevant investigations.
- Blood Bank - Collection, storage of blood, relevant serological investigations, preparation of components, blood camps for collection round o’clock service.
- Chemical pathology – Biochemical investigations of indoor & outdoor patients.
- Clinical Pathology – Investigation, urine, stool, blood counts, routine examination of fluids.
- Emergency Lab. services – Important life saving investigations Arterial blood gas analysis, Serum Electrolytes ( 24 hour service few biochemical and hematological investigations after routine hour.
Special Activities :
- Frozen section facility
- Immunoflourescence staining of kidney biopsies.
- Dissection of Fetus
- Undergraduate, post graduate students in Pathology.
- D.M.L.T. students ( Mumbai University)
- Occupational & Physical Therapy