The department of Dentistry was started on 1st February 1956, thanks to the initiative of the then superintendent Dr. S.V. Joglekar. The department was headed by Dr.R.B.Raut, Honorary Dental Surgeon, he was assisted by Dr. B.R. Rao, Honorary Assistant Dental Surgeon, He later took over the charge of the department, Dr.V.K.Gandhi later joined the department as Honorary Assistant Dental Surgeon. Subsequently Dr.P.M.Shanbhag took over as Honorary Dental Surgeon & Head of the Dental department .
At present the department is headed by Dr.H.L.Dhusia-Professor and assisted by
Dr.Archana Dhusia – Associate Professor along with four house officers.
- The Dental OPD was earlier located in the old barracks.
- At present it is located in the second floor of the main OPD building (OPD no.22)
- A Dental OPD also operational at UHC,Dharavi to cater to patients coming from in & around Dharavi.